Registration is open
9:00 – 10:30
Innovation for Circular Cities
The modern city is a kaleidoscope: constantly changing, amazingly diverse and sometimes disturbingly chaotic. It is also where most of human consumption happens, and where most of our greenhouse gas emissions are generated. Can we design our cities in a way that brings the best quality of life to the citizens while avoiding negative socio-environmental impacts both locally and globally? What if we made food out of thin air, near your home, ecologically? Or if we could have our goods served at our front door by autonomous low emission vehicles? What if new houses, roads and bridges emerged without noise, dust or other nuisances?
By joining this session, you will get the best answers to exactly these questions. We’ll bring you the latest innovations that are just around the corner to be implemented in our cities, by leading experts and entrepreneurs.
Moderator: Olli Salmi, EIT RawMaterials
- Arnold Tukker (Leiden University): Physical Accounts of Raw Materials in Cities
- Peter Vangsbo (Climate-KIC): Tool-box to Ensure the Circular Cities Transition
- Pasi Vainikka (Solar Foods): Food Out of Thin Air
- Marke Kallio (Metso Minerals): Future of Urban Construction: Silent, Clean and Circular
- Jean-Philippe Bellaiche (EIT Digital): Last Mile Autonomous Delivery
- Heikki Hintikka (Foller) and Anu Seisto (VTT): Minimizing Food Waste The Smart Way
10:30 – 11:15
Coffee and networking
Poster sessions and exhibition stands are active.
11:15 – 12:45
Innovators of the Future
This session showcases the integration of innovation and education at EIT activities. It is a combination of fire-side chat / panel type, possibly with a few presentations as well.
1)Impact on University Education Renewal
2)Impact on Wider Society Learning
- EIT Digital Summer Schools, linking students to industry
- Raw Matters Ambassadors at Schools
- EIT Food Innovation Launch: Games of Foods:
- ”From EIT student to entrepreneur”: students on stage
12:45 – 14:00
Lunch and networking
Poster sessions and exhibition stands are active.
14:00 – 15:30
Agile and sustainable innovation – Scaling Up!
Building on technological and digital capabilities like AI, focusing on Consumer Trust and Traceability and looking for opportunities in several business sectors are the common factors for these highly interesting Start-ups who will tell their story. What happens when these agile and innovative start-ups need to scale-up? What role large companies and EIT has been playing? What compromises are necessary for sustainable future?
Join us in this future oriented session to discover transversal, agile, sustainable and innovative Start-ups with High-tech demonstrations of robotics and IoT.
Experience a lively Start-up panel – “Me and EIT” – sharing experiences and impact of being part of EIT Community
Moderator: Marja-Liisa Meurice, EIT Food
- Jussi Suomela, Partner, GIM Robotics, Sesible 4 – GIM Robotics, Sesible 4 are experts in all subsystems related to mobile robotics, including positioning, mapping, navigation, environment perception, mechatronics design and artificial intelligence. They have decades of experience in integrating autonomous functions to existing machines.
- Ykä Marjanen, Co-Founder and Business Development Manager, Grain Sense – GrainSense develops the first truly hand-held device for grain quality measurement. For the first time, farmers, seed producers and plant breeders will be able to rapidly measure the key parameters of their crops in the field and make decisions that can improve profitability. We are bringing a major improvement to food production and logistics. Our hand-held device measures the protein, moisture, oil, and carbohydrate content of cereal grains and other crops.
- Jörgen Holm, CEO, Glucanova – Glucanova AB: Highfiber ingredients with uncompromised mouthfeel and taste. Glucanova is a research-based company driven by innovation and curiosity. Their vision is to address global health and sustainability concerns with documented healthy liquid oat fiber products.
- Linda Grieder, Founder & CEO, Rethink-Resource, Switzerland – Rethink-Resource: Turning Waste into Opportunities. RethinkResource creates an online marketplace where producing and processing companies can trade their side and waste streams. This combination of a marketplace and community is a platform solution that allows active users to emerge as industry leaders with respect to resource stewardship.
EIT Raw Materials
- Matti Järveläinen, CEO, ColloidTek – ColloidTek, Every liquid has a fingerprint. Collo is an innovative solution that changes the way the industry operates with liquids. It is about liquids fingerprinting through suspension analysis.
15:30 – 16:30
Joint Finnish EU Presidency Event Closing
Moderator: Tomi Korhonen, Business Finland
Closing the Conferences and the Event with a joint synthesis, bringing up also messages from previous relevant events and building up a way forward by delivering key messages for different actors for building up a path to sustainable and resilient circular economy-based society and industry.
- Paula Havaste, Heureka and NN/Participated pupil: Outcomes from Childrens’ Workshop
- Jyrki Katainen, Vice-President of the European Commission, Jobs, Growth, Investment and Competitiveness: The Role of Science, Manufacturing and Innovation in Boosting Jobs, Growth and Competitiveness – A Sustainable Way for the EU (tbc)
- Krista Mikkonen, Minister of the Environment and Climate Change: Priorities of the Finnish EU Presidency 2019 (tbc)
- Closing of the Finnish EU Presidency Event